E-1 & E-2 Visas: Treaty Traders and Investors

       The E-1 visa is for treaty traders and the E-2 is for treaty investors.  The E visa is only available to nationals of countries that have commercial treaties with the United States.  A list of Treaty Countries can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.

       As an E-1 treaty trader, you must be engaged in “substantial trade” between the U.S. and your home country.  This trade can relate to many different areas including merchandise, equipment, banking, tourism, and transportation.

       As an E-2 treaty investor, you must be developing or directing an enterprise in which you have invested a substantial amount of capital.  A substantial investment is usually an investment constituting more than 50%  of the amount needed for the enterprise.  There are other requirements that must be met in order to qualify for the E-2 visa.

       Typically, visas are granted for 5 years, sometimes less, but unlike the majority of other visas, the E visa can be extended indefinitely.   For guidance on how to apply for an E visa, please contact one of our attorneys who will gladly assist you.

William J. Flynn, III is a member of the Firm's Board of Directors and leader of the Immigration Practice Group. His practice includes a large immigration practice representing foreign nationals and U.S. corporations that employ foreign nationals. He represents clients before the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Department of State. Mr. Flynn is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Immigration and Nationality Law. Mr. Flynn is AV peer review rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He received his B.A. from Georgetown University and his J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from the State University of New York.