Obtaining Employment Authorization

       In order for a foreign national to be authorized to work in the United States, you must have either a Lawful Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”) or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).  Generally, in order to obtain an EAD, you must first obtain a visa that permits work authorization.  There are additional classifications, such as Asylum and Temporary Protected Status, that also allow for work authorization.  Certain instances where a pending application or special circumstances may allow you to obtain work authorization as well.

       There are many different types of work/business visas that allow for temporary employment authorization.  Some visas, however, such as the B-1/B-2 Visa, do not permit employment.  Some foreign nationals on certain educational visas may also be permitted to work under limited circumstances.  There are also various ways to obtain Lawful Permanent Residence.

       Please see the following articles for more information:

William J. Flynn, III is a member of the Firm's Board of Directors and leader of the Immigration Practice Group. His practice includes a large immigration practice representing foreign nationals and U.S. corporations that employ foreign nationals. He represents clients before the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Department of State. Mr. Flynn is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Immigration and Nationality Law. Mr. Flynn is AV peer review rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He received his B.A. from Georgetown University and his J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from the State University of New York.